Thursday 24 May 2018

General update

It seems that it happens every year. I go off to the Featherstone weekend and come back full of enthusiasm for the period we've just played. Couple that with a small amount of cash for my birthday the next week and you get magpie central.

Long time readers (if any) may remember that I had all my stuff in storage but now it has been moved into my new shed/man cave. This has allowed me to really look at what I have and what I need to get useful armies for each scale/era.

It has also allowed me to group projects together so that as the unpainted figures change into actual units the impact on the lead/plastic mountain is more pronounced.

I have mainly been working on 3 projects. Firstly my 28mm ACW. I have decided that since I commanded Rhodes' division at Chancellorsville at the Featherstone weekend, it would make sense to replicate this in my Confederate forces, whilst their Union opposition would be generic. A quick google search showed 30 regiments plus a battery of artillery. Keeping with 20 man units that means 150 bases of 40mmx40mm. I have already done 12 units from boxes I had to hand but there are Zouave units since one of the boxes was the Perry ACW battle box. I might just have to paint some more units and keep the zoaves as a reserve elite regiment.

By sticking with 40x40 bases I can use either Black Powder or Pickett's charge, or even Guns At Gettysburg.

At the same time I am increasing my 10mm Acw units. I have completed the 4 blisters I had for Xmas so have added another 24 stands to each side for F&F, although they could be used for BBB, or on a sabot for Altar of Freedom which I have just got and like the look of. Of course I do have some 2mm Acw which would do for the latter....

The last project is my imaginations SYW. The not-French side has seen the addition of several regiments including the Grenadiers du Roi and Musketeers du Roi, as well as the Grenadiers du Concorde. These are all 20mm soft plastic SYW or AWI figures which I buy from eBay whenever there's a job lot for sale. Each regiment is 8 bases of 12 figure on a 100x40 base which gives a really impressive 800mm frontage for a regiment.

I have 120 28mm Union troops on the painting table and aftet that I might need to change eras for a bit but if I just do one more zoave unit and another CSA I will have painted all my existing 28mm acw figures and then can plan my next purchases.......

No comments:

Post a Comment